Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The meaning behind a photo 照片背后的含义 ...



I met Mr Zul on a wet afternoon in the park, 
My new friend just bought a Nikon D200 and has been shooting
almost everyday for several months ...

We discussed about photography while walking about 
hunting for shooting subjects ...


Is there a meaning in a photograph ...

He did not know that I just started photography not too longer 
ago as I started to talk about the importance of composition 
over technique ...

Zul posted quite a number of his photographs in some 
forums and got some harsh remarks from the so-called "pros" about meaning in 
his photos ...


Mr. A ... Lost in Photography ... Finding the meaning in every shot ...


He asked me about my thoughts of meaning
behind a photo ...

I told Mr Zul the following 
I rarely seek out "meaning" when I shoot.
 I think I am interested in light, and its interplay over natural or non-natural forms.
 I don't seek a larger meaning than that ...
And sometimes, I just shoot because I like it ...


Is there a meaning in a photograph ...

I don't carry tons of gadgets or take 500 shots and 2 hours for a single subject
 to get the supposedly "perfect" shot ...

Maybe I am not a perfectionist,
and do not deserve to be in the same league of the "pros"
and so e it
as I just love photographing ...
that is a good enough reason for me to click the shutter ...
and continue shooting the way I like it ...


28 comments:

Arianna said...

In the first photo it seems ideograms...Arianna!

Betty Manousos@ CUT AND DRY said...

Great thoughts!
Impressive photos!
I'm in awe of your photography.
Betty

Piitis said...

Wonderful photos! I like it:)

^_^Piitis

Carolina Tavares said...

I liked the explanation about the art of shooting. I also think that the luminosity is a factor as well prepoderante own specific like what you're shooting.

Mama-Bug said...

I love your thinking on the objective of photography. I shoot photos purely for the pleasure they bring me. I know that everyone has his/her own opinion on what they like in a photograph. That's the beauty of it; everyone sees something different in a single photo.

UIFPW08 said...

Perfection always has his day and his photographic technique. Sometimes, however, this is overcome by common sense have fun shooting
Morris

Bob Bushell said...

A great sense of hugging over the shutter.

Beyond My Garden said...

You are right! It is all about light and dark and how you feel about the photograph.
nellie

Laura.M said...

Solo soy una aficionada a la fotgrafía Wong. Llevo siempre la cámara y disparo cualquier cosa que me gusta y veo interesante. Visito varios blog de fotos y aprendo de ellos.
Hoy me gusta tu última foto. Y es solo una hoja seca!!.
Saludos.Laura.

Angela Häring-Christen said...

Your pictures are great and your reason to make photos is the best.
Greetings
Angela

Halina said...

Wonderful :)
I agre...
//Halina

geanina said...

I love the series! very inspiring. the third photo I like most!

Joop Zand said...

Congrats for this nice work.

greetings and a nice day, Joop

Two Tigers said...

The best kind of photography does not need to seek or impose meaning. If you shoot with your eyes and heart open, the meaning will offer itself up freely! Keep up the good work, my friend.

ρομπερτ said...

Thank you for this lesson of and about life / photography. Much more appreciated than I'm currently able to tell.
Please have you all a wonderful Tuesday.

Laura~DancesWithTeddyBears said...

I agree with you, Wong.
Do as your heart dictates.
Your work is wonderful!

Bitch said...

But sometimes there are moments of happiness after a "good" shot.

George said...

I really like your reasons for taking a picture. You definitely get wonderful results. Like you, I take pictures because the sight interests me.

Olga said...

Wong, you and me are from the same tribe :) I just love taking pictures and observing the life around me. I love your photography.

Dawn said...

Completely agree.
Your 1st capture is stunning!

Arnaud said...

I had some chats about this topic. Hardocre extremists artists consider art is supposed to convey a message, a meaning, while I supposed that art was meant to beauty and esthetic, emotions. Then they told low education people think so, but the ones who got education in arts will all know there should be a meaning. It seems everywhere we can meet this same rigid and stupid way of thinking, not allowing nor respecting different ways.

Ursus said...

the first picture immediately caught my eye ... affects the sharpness from the center to the outside world particularly impressive

Serline said...

Agree with you, if we over-think the "meaning" of each shot, we may let slip many previous moments that we could have captured. Just be.

Chwile... said...

Kontrasty.Świeżość i zwiędłość. Życie i jego zanik.

Rui Pires said...

They were fantastic these pictures!

Rui Pires - OLHAR D'OURO - Portugal

Costea said...

Fine frames.

▒▓█► JOTA ENE said...

Beautiful photos e many information ...

darlin said...

I love your concept, your passion for taking photos shows through in your magnificent shots and what fun is it to shoot the same subject 500 times? I personally have much more waiting for me in life, I don't want to just capture life, I want to live it as well!