Sunday, May 22, 2011

Painting Line Art with Photoshop ...



Shame of me to be posting this despite
only learning Photoshop for a little bit more then
a week ...

But some of you ask me how this was done,
so I am just sharing
what I think to be fun

(on windows)
Step 1) Load the original image to Photoshop.
Step 2) Create a Layer (Ctrl-J or drap orginal to copy a layer)
Step 3) Change Layer 1 to BW via Shift-Ctrl-U (Image-Adjustment-Desaturate)
Step 4) Create Layer 2 out of Layer 1 to have 2 copies of the BW version
Step 5) On Layer 2 set it to "negative" using Ctrl-I (Image-Adjustment-Invert) 
Step 6) On Layer 2, using the blend mode to set Layer 1 to "Color Dodge"
Step 7) From step 6, the image turns white on layer 2 (don't worry) 
Step 8) On Layer 2, Filter - Other - Minimum (set to 5, plus minus) to get the lines 
Step 9) You may merge Layer 2 and Layer 1
Step 10) You may also use the Opacity to set to below 100% to get some color into it
Step 11) Returning to Lightroom you may further adjust the Hue and Saturation.
Step 12) In Lightroom, you can also Clarity, Recovery to adjust further ...

Step 11, 12 may not be necessary as I think there can be done
using Photoshop tools itself ...


马六甲红屋区 Melacca Red House area

马六甲红屋区 Melacca Red House area


Melaka City 马六甲市

Melaka City 马六甲市



Painting Bamboo 竹画 ...

Painting Bamboo 竹画 ...


For me, I am an engineer and teacher by profession, 
I have always believed that 
when I teach something I have learned 
I am a happier person 
then if I kept it to myself ...


22 comments:

Beyond My Garden said...

What fun!
nellie

Nurr Kasih said...

setuju..the more u give, the more u get back :)

Duncan D. Horne said...

It's a very interesting style, looks like you're having fun with it!

Duncan In Kuantan

Traveling Hawk said...

It's a nice demonstration, of which I would choose the last case! As concerns the street photos, I prefer the original...

Laura.M said...

Estupenda demostración. Gracias por compartirla!!
Buen domingo.Laura

AGMPRISMA said...

Good job Wong an greats photos. Thank you.

Greetings.

Olga said...

It seems like it was just the right time to write the post. I love your experiments with Photoshop. For me, all these photos are about impression and lovely pale colors.

JM said...

Very cool! Have never seen rickshaws so decorated as those on top.

Levonne said...

Thank you for sharing these Wong. Isn't it fun to create art from the photos with photoshop. Lightroom is coming to me now through the mail. Just ordered it so I can process those RAW images. Your photos downloaded very slowly though so may want to save as a smaller file before posting next time. I love those art shots that you made!

ρομπερτ said...

The last two pieces are incredible indeed. Thank you for sharing and teaching. Please have a good new week ahead.

Cloudia said...

你的美德以及对你说话的朋友,



Warm Aloha from Waikiki

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

<°)}}><

JejakTuah@yahoo.com said...

Wow Sir!... Nice photo...

C.D. said...

¡Qué preciosidad de fotografías! Y los efectos que se les han aplicado son geniales. Me gustan.

Saludos.

Theanne and Baron said...

I have Corel's Paintshop...I'll see if I can figure out how to do this in Paintshop...thanks for teaching...I appreciate it!

Carolina Tavares said...

Thank you for sharing so generously. Yes the pleasure of the teacher is to transmit knowledge, and student learning.

Thankfully.

T. Becque said...

I love it when people share their how-to on photos - so thanks! And nice work!

Life Ramblings said...

such a great technique from Photoshop. thanks for the great tips.

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

Hi Wong, nice effects.. but I prefere the original, you foto are so beautifull

Bitch said...

Thank you, Wong!
For teaching us on line!!!!

Rob and Mandy said...

Nice! I am about at your level as well with photoshop, just got it a few weeks ago, but no time...

Serline said...

Doing this in Photoshop is not difficult, but getting the right pics to achieve maximum effect requires more skills... good job!

Costea said...

Interesting.